THE SCIENCE AND PSYCHOLOGY OF YES
- RECIPROCITY – Obligation to give when you receive. If you give freebies or tips, you will be likely to get some things back. Giving first, be the number 1 giver. It will increase your sphere of influence.
- SCARCITY – People want MORE of those things there are less of. The benefits and what is unique.
- AUTHORITY – People will follow credible and knowledgeable experts. This is a measure of success.There is always someone who is smarter and better than you. You will trust a doctor more if there are qualifications on the wall for example.
- CONSISTENCY – Looking for and asking for commitments that can be made. You cannot ask someone on the street to give you money immediately. Small commitments are more inclined and then it leads to bigger commitments. Example, a small freebie only asked for an email in the database, more communication and eventual ask for monetary commitment is less daunting for them as it is coaxed slowly.
- LIKING – 3 important factors. People who are similar to us, who pay us compliments, who cooperate with us.
- CONSENSUS – People will look to the actions of others to determine their own. This is tribalism. Testimonials and stories that proves similarities bring people together. There is an example which is not the video but I will find it somewhere soon. It was an example of messaging in a hotel where they are implementing reuse of towels. A simple 'Please place your towels on the hook if you want to use it again' does not work as well as 'Resusing your towels will help save XXX of water and energy and be responsible to our planet.' That is still not as powerful as '75% of our guests reuse their towel to be responsible to our planet. Join in.' Those are not the exact words and I am a terrible copywriter, but you get the gist.