Pages

LIFE IS A JOURNEY, ARE YOU READY?

MAPPING NOMAC : THE DIY LOGO



I was fiddling the other day in between my travels, just sketching and doing my handicrafts. I thought of my friend Swee who started her handicraft business, Swiedebie from scratch in The Netherlands. It was a tough start with no income for a couple of years. It was a lot of creation and recycling materials, upcycling in a way, and then braving the weather at art and craft fairs in the country to try to establish her brand of plushies and handmade wonder. I cringed at the thought of spending on materials when you are struggling with income and the whole notion of profiting to feed yourself is a faraway idea.

I started to think of how one could easily produce their own logo by hand and yet having it look more or less professionally duplicated. Sure there are rubber stamps, potato cuts and stencils. But these methods do not allow one to scale it easily. What if the only tools I have are the trusty old scissors and pencil? Here is the challenge: how can I simplify the process?

I thought of Macca Lee who embarked on his 7-month trip around Europe. How he could use his web name 'Mapping Nomac' all around the world like those who became worldwide memes by dancing or posing all around the globe.


I started toying with the idea of paper crafting and played with different folds and cuts. The accordion fold seemed like a simplified fold in this case, making it almost creating each letter in a 'factory line'. Not all names could be applied to this method. Nomac is short enough and all the letters have almost symmetrical forms. You will see what I mean in the next few pictures. Swiedebie would not be a good name to try on this simple duplication.

All you need is paper, a pen or pencil, a pair of scissors and something round for a more precise curve to be drawn.







This is the final logo of Mapping Nomac. It is black just as a default. It could well take on anything one can get hold of. Be it maps, used leaflets, magazine spread, menus, tickets...etc.






Just finish off with 'Mapping' in handwriting for that personal touch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...