LIFE IS A JOURNEY, ARE YOU READY?

DON'T USE LEFTOVER ONIONS

We have used an onion which has been left in the fridge, and sometimes we don’t use a whole one at one time, so save the other half for later. We should really buy smaller onions in the future.Onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion. It’s not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator. It’s already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!)If you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you’ll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you’re asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, this may not be true.

http://chemistkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/onions-as-bacteria-magnets.html

tealily said...

Anonymous, that sounds right to me. I was just going to say I have eaten SO much leftover onion in my life and never gotten sick. Let's call this false.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...