I love most BBC documentaries and this is one that I re-watched after coming back from holiday and feeling a bit sun burnt. I have a summary of what are being explored in this documentary.
- Lycopene in tomatoes (and in the case of the documentary, tomato paste of 55g ) can increase your body's natural protection from the sun by a third.
- Polyphenols in red wine is good for the heart as it increases blood flow and promotes healthy circulation.
- Cabernet Sauvignon and Tamac (? I have never heard of this, I will research a bit more, but it is surely only Cab Sau from now) has more polyphenols in them.
- Drink alcohol with food in your stomach so that your liver doesn't overwork and has time to neutralise it. Try not to exceed the daily intake limit of 3 units.
- It is a myth to have to drink 2 litres of water a day to stay hydrated.
- Vivid coloured berries like strawberries and blueberries have high anti-oxidant properties and are good for the brains.
- Spinach is good for eyes.
- Do detox diets work? No, so forget health shakes and vege diets. A detox regime will not improve your body's natural detox processes.
- Just eat colours.